City Was “Founded in 1896”
Gojra town was established in 1896 when colonization of Lyallpur (Faisalabad) began. The railway line
between Lyallpur and Gojra was laid in 1899. The town was given the status of notified area committee
in 1904 and upgraded as B-Class Municipality in 1925. In 1906 the population was 2,589, according to
The Imperial Gazetteer of India "The business done in this rising mart on the railway, which has sprung
into existence in the last six years owing to the extension of the Chenab Canal to the surrounding
country, bids fair to rival in importance that of Lyallpur itself". In 1919 following the Rowlatt Act,
hartals broke out throughout Punjab, Gojra was affected by serious protests and a member of the
Church Mission Society had to be escorted out of the town by loyal residents.
After independence from Britain, in view of its increasing size, it was declared as 2nd class Municipal Committee in 1960. The town was raised to the status of Tehsil town and affiliated with the newly established district Toba Tek Singh on 01.07.1982. After the introduction of Devolution of Powers Plan, the Municipal Committee Gojra came into being on 12.08.2001. Canal rest house is the oldest building constructed during British government in 1898.
Gojra is a city of Toba Tek Singh district, it is located at 33°16'60N 73°20'60E and is located 30 miles
(50 km) from Faisalabad and 20 miles (32 km) north of Toba Tek Singh. Gojra tehsil spreads over an
area of 916 square kilometers with a population of 495,096 (as per DCR 1998). Urban population is
117,892 as per 1998 census with annual average growth rater of Tehsil is 3.29.
The population census report of year 2017 has not been published by Government of Pakistan. However the provisional data available from 2017 census contains a population of 174,860 persons within the municipal boundary of this town.
- Administrative Practices
- Carry out the Duties
- Develop the Municipaity
- Maintain Financial Integrity
- Represent the Public